This is a trivia article for Australian actor Simon Baker, a.k.a Patrick Jane from The Mentalist. It features miscellaneous Simon Baker info, covering both his career and private life.
Image via http://www.nickonken.com
1) Simon Baker was born in Tasmania, Australia, in 1969.
2) He stands at 5' 10" (1.78 m).
3) He is married to Rebecca Rigg, an Australian actress.
Image via http://cdn-images.hollywood.com
Above: Simon with his wife Rebecca.
4) Simon Baker and Rebecca Rigg have been married since 1998 and they have three children together: one daughter and two sons. The oldest was born in 1993 and the youngest in 2001.
Image via http://www.story.hr/
Above: Simon and Rebecca with two of their kids.
5) They are very good friends with actresses Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts. In fact, both actresse are godmothers of their sons-Nicole for one son and Naomi for the other.
6) Despite being both actors, Simon didn’t meet Rebecca on a set but on a blind date.
7) He starred in the short-lived drama/thriller TV series Smith, alongside Ray Liotta and Viriginia Madsen.
8) Although his talent was acknowledged both in Australia and worldwide before he starred in The Mentalist, he owes his current popularity to his leading role as Patrick Jane- The Mentalist- the character the show was named after.
Image via areyouscreening.com
Above: Simon Baker and Robin Tunney in The Mentalist
9) The Mentalist is not his first leading role in a TV series. He previously played Nick Fallin in the drama series The Guardian from 2001 to 2004. The show lasted for 3 seasons. It tells the story of a hotshot lawyer who now has to juggle community service with his extremely busy career.
Image via http://gfx.filmweb.pl/
10) The Guardian was nominated for and won many awards- both in acting and other categories. Simon Baker was nominated for Golden Globe and Prism Award. He won Family Television Award.
11) In The Mentalist, Simon plays a very talented and smart mentalist. The meaning of the word is defined at the beginning of each episode in Season 1: A mentalist is someone who uses mental acuity, hypnosis and/or suggestion- is a master manipulator of behavior and thoughts.
12) The Mentalist focuses on the story of Patrick Jane, a former psychic-turned paid consultant for CBI after his wife and daughter are murdered by a serial-killer, who solely did it to prove Jane wrong.
13) His wife Rebecca Rigg appears in one episode of The Mentalist. She plays an actress in the 19th episode of season 1.
14) Simon was nominated for Emmy, Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Awards for his role in The Mentalist.
15) Simon has also been taking many roles in movies, both leading and supporting. Some of his supporting roles in movies include L.A. Confidential, Most Wanted, Ride with the Devil, Red Planet, The Devil Wears Prada and Women in Trouble.
16) His leading roles include movies Something New, Land of the Dead, Not Forgotten, Book of Love, The Lodger, Sex and Death 101.
17) His kids aren’t allowed to watch a majority of his works as they mostly contain a lot of violence and sexual elements.
18) His female co-stars include Robin Tunney and Amanda Righetti (both from The Mentalist), Kim Basinger, Hope Davis, Winona Ryder, Kate Hudson, Jessica Alba, Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep, Hillary Swank and Frances O’Connor.
19) He was a successful surfer as a teenager.
20) In 2007, he starred in the short film The Key to Reserva, directed by Martin Scorsese
21) His movie genres include horror, sci-fi, thriller, drama, crime, mystery, comedy, romance, romantic comedy, dark comedy, history and action.